Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Before and After Self Photo



What better to promote my makeup artistry than to feature myself? I have horrible sun spots- mostly from the California sun and from mom's genes. Pictured here is a before and after photo of myself. Listed below is my makeup routine:


I am age 31 and my sun/brown spots are increasingly bothering me. So I've been looking for a routine to even out my skin tone. I also tend to have dry skin so it's not easy to layer products without looking cakey. Here's my routine with corresponding products:

1- wash face - no special cleanser

2- use toner - alcohol free works best for dry skin

3- apply moisturizer with SPF - no special moisturizer but as I have dry skin, I use creamy moisturizers

4- apply MUFE HD primer (I prefer to smashbox- MUFE seems more emollient and glides better on my dry skin)

5- spray MAC fix to each side of face (this product prevents dry skin from getting cakey with makeup to come. may be skipped if you have oily skin and don't need anymore moisture)

6- apply MAC Studio Sculpt SPF 15 foundation (NC35) with foundation brush to help even out and prevent streaking. I even out some more with makeup sponge from Sonia Kashuk line (the egg shaped one)

7- apply Laura Mercier secret camouflage concealer (SC-2) to problem spots and below eyes: This is the key product in my whole routine. The two shade concealer is amazing. I apply with brush then pat with warm finger.

8- set face with powder- in the photo, I used MAC studio Fix (NC35) on the right side of my face then brushed on NYX loose powder on my left face. I noticed the studio fix compact magnified pores a teeny bit more than the loose powder. So I think loose powder is the way to go here. I will just have to find a more finely milled loose powder as I think the NYX is too thick.

9- apply blush (Used here is Jemma Kidd- Chic cheeks powder blush in New York) to apples of cheeks

10- contour with Cargo Water Resistant Bronzer on jawline (right under blush) and up to hairline on side.

11- blend bronzer into blush with kabuki brush

12- apply eye primer to eyelids- I usually use UD but here, I used Laura Geller eye spacke (applied with finger) and it worked fine.

13- apply eyeshadows- ivory on lid, medium brown in crease and bottom lid and dark brown on under lid to smudge out. Then applied black eyeliner cream from Stila smudge pot to lid- very close to lid.

14- follow with curling lashes and two strokes of mascara

15- attach false eyelashes (DUO glue works best for me)

16- apply lip liner and lipstick (Here, I applied Laura Geller Lip Spackle to lips first to even out lip color. I don't usually do this and I think a gently swipe from foundation brush over lips works just as well but this helps to color to last. If my lips are dry, I simply brush lips over with toothbrush before applying the above. )

17- finish with stroke of Bobbie Brown Shimmer Brick in Copper Diamond on cheek bones, bridge of nose, chin, and area right between eyebrows to highlight.

That's my routine. With practice, I have been able to do this in 20 minutes.

No comments: